Special Guests SUSHiO, Shigeto Koyama, and Hiromi Wakabayashi to Meet Fans at New York’s Biggest Japanese Pop Culture Festival
What You Need to Know:
- Anime NYC Powered By Crunchyroll announced prolific and fan-favorite Japanese animation studio “Studio TRIGGER” will be participating in this November’s Anime NYC. TRIGGER is known for animating popular anime titles including Kill La Kill, Little Witch Academia, Promare, and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. TRIGGER’s SUSHiO, Shigeto Koyama, and Hiromi Wakabayashi will all attend Anime NYC as Official Guests and host events for fans.
- Anime NYC, running November 18-20, 2022 in New York’s Javits Center, brings over 50,000 passionate fans together with leading creators and companies from the heart of the Japanese entertainment world. Celebrating its fifth anniversary this year, Anime NYC will play host to special guests including Gundam Hathaway director Shuko Murase, FINAL FANTASY XV composer Yoko Shimomura, and prolific voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch. Participating companies include Aniplex, Bandai Namco, Crunchyroll, GKIDS, HIDIVE, Kodansha, VIZ Media, and Yen Press.
- Studio TRIGGER was launched in 2011 and quickly became recognized for its daring animation, offbeat humor, and inventive style. Gaining international attention, it collaborated with Lucasfilm to animate “The Twins” and “The Elder” – two segments in the Star Wars: Visions anthology as well as video game publisher CD Projekt Red to create the new Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, now airing on Netflix.
- TRIGGER’s biggest hit in the US may be Promare, a feature-length adventure following the epic battle between a race of flame-wielding mutants and the team of heroes defending humanity. Promare’s told at a blistering pace and is filled with the visual bombast which has become TRIGGER’s trademark. Its kinetic energy and the audience response to it has evolved into it becoming the “Rocky Horror Picture Show of anime”. Promare was released in the US by GKIDS.
- TRIGGER’s SUSHiO, Shigeto Koyama, and Hiromi Wakabayashi together with GKIDS will present one such “cheer screening” of Promare on Friday night of Anime NYC. Additionally, the TRIGGER team will host a panel about the company’s current and future projects, as well as hold autograph signings for fans.
- Guest panels and expo floor activities are accessible to Anime NYC badge holders, and limited badges are still available at animenyc.com. Anime NYC will be announcing more guests and special events across the fall, and for more information, follow Anime NYC on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Studio TRIGGER’s Guests at Anime NYC:
SUSHiO is an acclaimed animator who’s participated in many popular anime titles such as Diebuster, Gurren Lagann, and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. With the establishment of Studio TRIGGER, SUSHiO joined as character designer for Kill La Kill. Since then, he has been an essential key person in many of TRIGGER’s flagship titles.
Designer Shigeto Koyama began his career working on the series Diebuster with the historic Studio GAINAX and went on to take part as a designer in a variety of massively popular and critically acclaimed projects, including Gurren Lagann, Rebuild of Evangelion, Kill La Kill, and the Academy Award-winning Big Hero 6.
Previously a member of Studio GAINAX, Hiromi Wakabayashi has been involved in several works, most notably Gurren Lagann. Wakabayashi also contributed to Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as co-creator, writer, and episode director. At Studio TRIGGER, Wakabayashi has been involved in the production of Kill La Kill, Space Patrol Luluco, and Promare as creative director and music producer.
“We’re very, very excited for Studio TRIGGER to come to Anime NYC,” said Anime NYC show director Peter Tatara. “They have an attitude and a style like no one else, and this has won them a fervent fanbase across the US and all around the world. We’re thrilled to celebrate TRIGGER, Promare, and their passionate community. ”
Source: Official Press Release